By the time summer weekends come around, piling up my car with bags and heading to my parents’ house on the coast becomes a thing of the norm. On Saturdays and Sundays, you’ll most likely find me sunning myself at the beach with my hair piled up, shades on, and not a scrap of makeup to be seen on my chops. In the week, I just can’t go without my signature liquid liner as I feel a little naked without it, but by the weekend I like to go a lot lighter on the application, keep my eyes kohl-free and spend just a few minutes dipping and dotting on my following five face favourites. I can’t waste any opportunities to be beachside, can I?
1. Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - This was one of the products that came with my Selfridges #beautyproject box, and it was one of the few that I was very excited to try. My makeup lasts a dreamy 8 or so hours when I use this over my moisturiser, and somehow, it also manages to pronounce the naturally highlight-worthy parts of my face. Perfect for adding a little extra glow without having to do very much.
2. Dior Diorskin Nude BB Creme in 002 - Calling all sensitive skins, this one’s well worth a look-in. This is my ultimate, barely there, glow-injecting summer base. I like to apply it with my fingertips as a brush tends to deliver a matt-ified finish that just doesn’t bode well with my daily quest for dewiness. In the winter, I like to apply the Bare Minerals foundation powder over the top of this for an extra boost of warmth and coverage, but when the sun is shining, this is all I need.
3. MAC Studio Finish concealer in NW25 - The concealer that never lets me down. Studio Finish is just a dream to use over my poor old panda eyes and any pesky blemishes that have reared their ugly heads.
4. NARS Blush in ‘Deep Throat’ - Another product that arrived in my Selfridges #beautyproject box was this pretty little thing that imparts a glow far too innocent for its naughty name. As soon as I did the first sweep of this on my cheeks, in it went to my makeup bag and it hasn’t left since. A light pink powder that packs a big coral punch, it’s going to see me through summer and well into winter, I’m betting.
5. NARS Illuminator in ‘Copacabana’ - Once the beautiful Hannah Maggs shared this as one of her 5 favourite beauty products, I hot-footed it to my nearest Space NK store and stepped out of the door swinging it in a lovely ribbon-tied black bag, all in the space of around 3 hours. I’m a bit of a sucker for a highlighter, and after scraping out the last of my favourite MAC Cream Colour Base in ‘Pearl’, I knew this would be the perfect replacement. I love to apply it to the tops of my cheekbones, the bridge of my nose and the tops of my brows as the last step of my makeup.
I love this makeup so much, so please sun, don’t ever take your hat off. Ever.