It’s been a brilliant year for beauty launches, and clattering through my disorganised makeup/beauty collection (gimme a break, I just moved…like, 3 months ago), I realised that I’ve acquired a handful of products this year that instantly became staples. Here are 5 that I discovered in 2014, and I’m sure I’ll keep on repurchasing…
1. Vaseline Spray & Go moisturiser - Don’t you just hate those moments when you feel like you’ve got plenty of spare change, so you go out and buy that “trend” product, then realise that you can’t be without it from there on out? That’s what happened to me this year with Vaseline Spray & Go; the best moisturiser for us lazy girls. This is a moisturiser-in-a-can which feels super lightweight on the skin and sinks in in a snap. The cocoa fragrance is my favourite, but I love the green aloe vera version too. It’s the only body moisturiser I’ll reach for now.
2. Urban Decay Naked2 Basics palette - when it comes to makeup, I’m not the most adventurous of girls. Occasionally, I’ll wear a red lip, false lashes or a smokey eye, but it doesn’t get much more adventurous than that. So, the Urban Decay Naked2 Basics palette is absolutely perfect for me. It contains 6 neutral shades that are perfect for every day, and even better, its super cute size makes it my favourite travelling item of 2014!
3. REN ClearCalm 3 Clarifying Clay Cleanser - I don’t know what it is about cleansers, but I feel like it’s the most exciting skincare to experiment in. The REN cleanser with the longest alliterated name is my favourite cleanser of 2014, without a doubt. The texture of my skin has noticeably improved since using it (even the boyf has noticed!), and it smells absolutely delicious. £16 for 150ml means that you’re getting good bang for your buck, too.
4. Percy & Reed Dry Shampoo - dry shampoo is another lazy girl’s best bud. They can add volume, subtract the oily look and freshen the smell of your tresses. Batiste is the obvious choice, but there are so many insanely better options out there. In comes the Percy & Reed Dry Shampoo, a gorgeous-smelling, light mist of dry goodness that has helped me enjoy lots of longer lie-ins. It’ll be coming with me into 2015, too.
5. Nars “Copacabana” Illuminator - as soon as Hannah Maggs sung its praises, I was just itching to pick one up for myself from Space NK. It’s been true love ever since. I like to mix a little dollop of this into my foundation for those days when I’m feeling extra sleepy. And trust me - you only need the tiniest dot, this stuff is packed to the rafters with shimmer. It’s the stuff of highlighter lover’s dreams!
6. Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt fragrance - my preferences in fragrance change quite often. Before this, Pomegranate Noir was my true love of the JM world - a rich, fruity but very sensual fragrance. But since the launch of Wood Sage & Sea Salt, I’ve been reaching for fresh, citrus-smelling fragrances a lot more. As a girl who grew up by the seaside, this just takes me back to days spent on the beach, with the cliffside close by for long walks in the evenings. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is that I love so much about this, but all I know is that this definitely won’t be my last bottle!
Which products did you discover and fall in love with in 2014?